Monday, June 29, 2009
I wanted to make a hooded scarf that did not require any seaming and was actually shaped like a head. This was the result.
350 yds worsted weight yarn (I used Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted Multi)
tapestry needle (for weaving in ends)
fsc: foundation single crochet
hdc: half double crochet
dc: double crochet
tr: treble crochet
To make fsc: ch 2. Insert hook into first chain, yo, draw up a loop. You should have two loops on your hook. Yo, draw through one loop. Yo, draw through both loops on hook. One fsc made.
Insert hook into BASE of previously made fsc, yo and draw up a loop. Yo and draw through one loop on hook. Yo and draw through both loops on hook. Second fsc made.
(there are excellent videos on youtube that are definitely better than my explanation here)
1. ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), dc in next 29 sts, 2 dc in last st, 3 dc in end of fsc row, 2 dc in bottom of last fsc, dc back along bottoms of 30 fsc. (67 sts)
2. ch 3, turn. dc in next 29 sts, 2 dc in next 7 sts, dc in next 30 sts (74 sts)
3. ch 3, turn. dc in next 29 sts, [dc in next st, 2 dc in next st] 7 times, dc in next 30 sts (81 sts)
4. ch 3, turn. dc in next 29 sts, [dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, dc in next st] 7 times, dc in next 30 sts (88 sts)
5. ch 3, turn. dc in next 32 sts, 2 dc in next st, [dc in next 6 sts, 2 dc in next st] 3 times, dc in next 33 sts (92 sts)
6-11. ch 3, turn, dc in each st. (92 sts)
12-15. ch 2 (counts as first hdc here and throughout), turn. hdc in next 20 sts, dc in next 14 sts, tr in next 22 sts, dc in next 14 sts, hdc in next 21 sts (92 sts)
do not tie off
16-66. ch 2, turn. hdc in next 18 sts (19 sts)
cut yarn and tie off.
Attach yarn with slip stitch to opposite corner of hood. Repeat rows 16-66.
cut yarn, tie off and weave in ends.